Hello Region 7!
I would like to thank all of you who attended our Annual Planning Conference and hope that you were not disappointed. Although IRS tax laws and requirements are not fun, we did learn more about our chapter Scholarships, the NAWIC Founders Scholarship Foundation (NFSF) and the laws regarding fundraising events for them. We learned the value of working together and how important it is to discover our common ground rather than to seek out our differences. Kudos to Martha Simpson for raising $1,000 for NEF with her special auction. As always, it was wonderful to rekindle friendships and develop new ones with our members throughout the region. I welcome all comments and suggestions, so please feel free to contact me.
Special thanks to the Fort Worth Chapter APC Committee,
NAWIC President-elect Pat McDonald, NAWIC Treasurer Deb Gregoire, NAWIC
Secretary Judy DeWeese and Past NAWIC President Luci Roberts for sharing your
knowledge and laughter with us. AND, let
us not forget the “Versa-Undies Girls” from
Forum 2008 is our next region event and plans are well under
A special thank you is in order to our Chapter Presidents and Region Committee Chairs for your dedication to NAWIC and Region 7.
Wishing you all a happy, safe holiday season,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
DATES TO REMEMBER:
December 1 President’s Message for newsletter
January 7 Chapter President annual report & questions due to Director for Director’s Mid-Year Report (Mid-Year Board February 21-23)
January 30 IRS certification form due to NAWIC Office
February Scholarship money due to NFSF
Crystal Vision/Achievement Nominations
Chapter Block Kids entries due
February 15 IRS 990 due to be filed
March Elect Nominating Committee
Chapter CAD/Design entries due
March 2 – 8 WIC Week
March 15 NFSF Scholarship Applications due
April 4 – 5 Annual Forum in Boerne, Tapatio Springs
ALWAYS Be courteous and mindful of commitments
REGION 7 CHAPTER PRESIDENTS:
Fort Worth Cristy Treder
· Concentrating on member recruitment.
· Lisa Huerta recruited 2 new members.
· Block Kids contest January 19, 2008.
· Kim Wilburn is working on a new roster.
· Ways & Means Committee Chair Darlene Le-Omana is researching ways to increase income
· WIC Week project is to install a playground set for The Ark, a home for abused and neglected children.
Christi Chapter is having an Open House on with ABC for their new LARGE
· Construction Industry project will include painting the walls and ceiling of the nurse’s office at Prescott Elementary School and to design and build two benches with drawers as well as a workstation for the nurse’s computer.
· Barbara Taylor has been appointed to the Builder and Contractor Advisory Committee by State Representative Juan Garcia. This committee will advise on any Bills submitted concerning the construction industry.
sales at APC were for the benefit of the kids at
· November’s speaker, Bryan Dodge, talked to us about “How to Build a Better You”. Mr. Dodge is a keynote speaker and has a weekly program on radio station WBAP and is working on a television show.
· January’s speaker will be Dr. Lawana Gladney discussing emotional wellness.
· Our first Block Kids competition is complete with another planned for the spring.
· Our chapter proudly supports The Women’s Center, Union Gospel Mission, Tarrant Area Food Bank, Northside Interchurch Agency, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Child Advocates of Tarrant County, Zonta International throughout the year.
· Plans are under way to build another playhouse for Child Advocates and we will possibly get involved with a local Girl Scout Troop this year. We will once again have a booth at the Entrepreneur Expo in February.
· Our Publicity Committee has been very successful getting NAWIC events and information published.
· WIC Week project is in the works.
· We held our annual Industry Appreciation dinner in November to recognize chapter sponsors for their support throughout the year.
· In our ongoing support of The Bridge, a shelter for abused women and their children, we collect donations monthly and in December we always provide toys for the children. Many of the companies our ladies work for donate additional toys, giving us a big donation to help through the holidays.
· Plans are under way for our Block Kids competition.
· We are proud to have several new members who are stepping up to the plate, becoming involved in the many opportunities available.
· Merry Christmas everyone! Our Chapter Christmas party is Wednesday, December 12 at Dave & Busters for a Mystery Dinner Theater.
· We are also helping with the 8th Annual Construct A Kids Gala, benefitting children in the Bexar County Foster Care.
· Our January meeting will be “Contractors in a Box” night, thanks to Becky Wynne. Contractors who participate will have a display table to “hawk their wares” and ten minutes at the podium to talk about their services – all for $100 each.
· Terri Pasley inducted three new members in November: Dawn Revell with W.G. Yates, Sandee Morgan with W.G. Yates, and Susan Burrier with Pletz. The day after the meeting Christi Marsh with Texas Air Systems and Jacque Lyons with W.G. Yates joined our chapter!
· Please take time to visit our website to see what’s new at www.nawicsatx.org .
· These ladies are busy with their many projects and committees. ( Note from Julia: I feel certain they are working on another rendition of their Versa-Undies!)
· We had two members from our chapter attended APC. New member Anne Owens attended and she enjoyed it very much. Anne has also volunteered to do our web page when our members vote to start the process.
· We have a new member, Glynna Swanner with CWA Construction, Inc. recruited by Jackie Deskins.
· We will have our traditional fiesta dinner at our Christmas party on December 11 along with our Chinese gift exchange.
members donated money for a gift card to Wal-Mart for the
· My boss, K. Paul Holt, has graciously donated the materials needed to print the program for our Annual Forum in April
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
Brandt Engineering email@example.com
Bluebonnet Roofing Kimfirstname.lastname@example.org
Turner Construction email@example.com
Aguirre Building Services firstname.lastname@example.org
Law Offices of R. Sean McDonald email@example.com
Balance Out Bernadette@balanceout.com
FORT WORTH CHAPTER #1
Electro Acoustics & Video, Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
S & J Electric email@example.com
AUI General Contractors firstname.lastname@example.org
Esquivel Services email@example.com
AUI General Contractors firstname.lastname@example.org
Artfoam, LLC email@example.com
Becon Construction Company, Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
RLI Surety Cathy_McDow@rlicorp.com
Cytex Architectural email@example.com
Trademark Construction firstname.lastname@example.org
Pletz Construction, LLC Sburrier7952@aol.com
W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Co. email@example.com
W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Co. firstname.lastname@example.org
Texas Air Systems email@example.com
W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Co. firstname.lastname@example.org
W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Co. email@example.com
Traffic & Lighting firstname.lastname@example.org
CWA Construction, Inc. email@example.com
Garrison Partners firstname.lastname@example.org
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. I encourage you to take advantage of the benefits your respective chapters have to offer.
WOW! WAY TO GO REGION 7!!!
NAWIC ELECTION NEWS…
Treasurer Deb Gregoire has announced she will run for Vice-President in 2008; Secretary Judy DeWeese has announced she will run for Secretary in 2008; Region 12 Director Cindy Johnsen and Region 4 Director Christine Parsons have announced they will run for NAWIC Treasurer in 2008.
REGION 7 LEADERS
Sandy Field, Houston Chapter #3 email@example.com
Kathy Sterling, Houston Chapter #3 firstname.lastname@example.org
Becky Wynne, San Antonio Chapter #11 email@example.com
Emilie Hins, Tulsa Chaper #76 firstname.lastname@example.org
Safety & Health
Jennifer Swinney, San Antonio Chapter #11 email@example.com
Carolyn Brice, Dallas Chapter #2 firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracey Hart, Fort Worth Chapter # email@example.com
Martha Simpson, San Antonio Chapter #11 firstname.lastname@example.org
Karolene Pittman email@example.com
Business Owners & Managers Council (BOMC)
Laura Culin, Austin Chapter #7 Laura_culin@austinlumber.com
Region 7 Fund Committee
Judy DeWeese, NAWIC Secretary, Past Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Ginger Ritchison email@example.com
Vickie Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org